Sunday, January 2, 2011

Baby Quilt

Last Saturday I was at studio by myself without staff ( public holiday ) . I've been wanting to turn this new quilt panels I recently bought into quilts , so since we've just received our batting , it seems like a prefect day to be quilting .

I'm using a thicker batting this time aroung , appx 230 g instead of the usual 160g. Its way more expensive , but i like the plush feel . Besides most of my customers use baby comforters to put their babies ON instead of under. Notice how the needle really 'sinks' onto the quilt panels.


I then had a tiny problem. Since I was using my industrial machine instead of my normal portable Singer ,I didnt have the proper setting for quilting . No walking foot and my feed dogs were exposed , which means that if i start machine quilting , I'll have a bunch of fiber pushed right to the end of my sewing line creating an unsightly lump. So after googling on the internet ( and a good half hour on Facebook in the process ) , I found a forum user who posted about changing industrial machines into quiltable sewing machines. And what a simple solution it is ! 

She suggested that I should take a piece of clear plastic and cover the entire feed dog area with it , minus a small hole for the needle to go through. Problem solved . Instead of spending money buying the accessories , this cost me nothing and the result is just as good. Plus I have the extra advantage of the sewing machine being really stable moving at super turbo speed instead of my slower portable one.

So here it is , the Buck A Roo baby Quilt. Its bigger than the normal baby quilts ( appx 49" x 39" ). I am selling it as a set with a matching pillow , since so far we only have one piece of this design at our Curve outlet. Makes an adorable gift for baby boy. Let me know if you would like to purchase this item :)


No comments:

Post a Comment